Power Diode Structure:
The structure of the power diode is little different from the small signal diodes.
- As shown in the figure, there is heavily doped n+ substrate with doping level of 1019/cm3. This substrate forms a cathode of the power diode.
- On n+ substrate, lightly doped n- epitaxial layer is grown. This layer is also known as drift region. The doping level of n- layer is about 1014/cm3.
- The the PN junction is formed by diffusing a heavily doped p+ region. This p+ region forms anode of the diode. The doping level of p+ region is about 1019/cm3.
- The thickness of p+ region is 10µm. The thickness of n+ substrate is 250µm.
- The thickness of n- drift region depends upon the breakdown voltage of the diode.
- The drift region determines the reverse breakdown voltage of the diode.
- Its function is to absorb the depletion layer of the reverse biased p+n- junction.
- As it is lightly doped, it will add significant ohmic resistance to the diode when it is forward biased.
- For higher breakdown voltages, the drift region is wide.
- The n- drift region is absent in low power signal diodes.
Conductivity modulation of drift layer:
- When the power diode is forward biased (anode is made positive with respect to cathode), the holes will be injected from the p+ region into the drift region.
- Some of the holes combine with the electrons in the drift region. Since injected holes are large, they attract electrons from the n+ layer.
- Thus holes and electrons are injected in the drift region simultaneously.
- Hence resistance of the drift region reduces significantly.
- Thus diode current goes on increasing, but drift region resistance remains constant.
- So on-state losses in the diode are reduced. This phenomenon is called as Conductivity modulation of drift region.
Power Electronics System: Introduction,Advantages, Disadvantages
Applications of Power Electronics in Various Fields
Power Electronics Devices Classification
If you like the post, then please subscribe to get new posts directly to your mail id...
Please leave your comments below...