HVDC Transmission System Basics, Block Diagram, Working
HVDC Transmission System:
One of the important power electronics field application is High Voltage DC [HVDC] Transmission System.
For large power transmission over long distances, the HVDC proves to be economical and efficient over High Voltage AC [HVAC] transmission system.
In this post let us see how HVDC transmission system works....
HVDC Transmission System- Block Diagram
- As shown two AC systems A and B are interconnected by the DC line.
- From the system-A three phase AC supply is first passed through a AC filter.
- The AC filters reduced the current harmonic generated by the converters from entering into the AC systems.
- Then the supply stepped up through the step-up transformer.
- This gives high AC voltage which is ready for transmission.
- The high voltage AC is converted into high voltage DC by the converters that are connected in series.
If power flows from system A to B, then converter-A operates as rectifier and converter-B operates as an inverter.
If the power flows in reverse manner (i.e., B to A) then converter-B acts as rectifier and converter-A acts as an inverter.
Normally, 12 pulse configuration is used for converter A and B to reduce the ripple voltage.
- The DC output of the converter is filtered by DC filters and smoothing inductors to eliminate the DC ripples.
- Thus ripple free high voltage DC is obtained. This high voltage DC is then transmitted over the DC transmission line.
- The DC line has +kV and -kV with respect to ground.
- This is done in purpose to balance the voltage the voltage of two transmission lines with respect to earth.
- The center point of converters A and B are earthed with one line at +kV and the other line -kV with respect to earth. This done to get the +- kV system.
- At the receiving station, the high voltage DC is again filtered and passed to converter B (which act as an inverter).
- This inverter output is stepped down, passed through AC filters. Thus the three phase AC supply is obtained at the receiver side finally.
Thanks for reading about HVDC Transmission System...
Please leave your comments below..... Please subscribe to get new posts to your mail id...